The US is engaged in war (or war activities) in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Yemen and Somalia. For Afghanistan and Iraq, these wars have been going on since 2001 (or a lifetime for a US teenager).
In addition, we have initiated sanctions against Iran, North Korea and Venezuela. Both war and sanctions disproportionately hurt the civilian population. Some key points on sanctions
- Sanctions take an extensive toll on civilians
- Sanctions contribute to the spread of COVID
- Sanctions have never achieved “regime change”.
- “Maximum pressure” should be replaced by “maximum diplomacy”.
Peace Action Montgomery has been engaged in advocacy with our Maryland Congressional representative to:
- Co-sponsor HR 5879 to give Congress oversight on sanctions imposed by the president.
- Co-sponsor S. 3918 and HR 7218 to expedite the provision of humanitarian assistance to the people of North Korea.
- To advocate publicly for sanctions relief for a broad array of nations. It is the right thing to do at this time.